03 June 2020
July 2020 deadline for rentals extended to Dec 2020
The government has just announced it will be extending the deadline of 1 July 2020 to 1 December 2020 for which all new or varied Tenancy Agreements must include information on the current levels of the 5 Healthy Homes Standards.
The extension has been granted given COVID-19, restricted access to properties, and limited tradespeople inspections, has constrained landlords' ability to meet this compliance by 1st July.
Moving the deadline to December 1, 2020 will also mean new tenancies beginning over the summer period in December to February can be incorporated into the statement of compliance process.
The remaining deadlines are not being changed.
- From 1 July 2021: Rentals must comply with all the new Standards within 90 days from entering any new or varied Tenancy Agreements.
- By 1 July 2024: ALL rental properties must be compliant with the 5 Healthy Homes Standards.
The Healthy Homes Standards set minimum requirements for heating, insulation, ventilation, moisture ingress and drainage, and draught stopping, in all residential rental properties across the country. Requirements for rental homes include:
- insulation that has a minimum thickness of 120mm OR meets the 2008 Building Code; and
- a fixed heater that can heat a main living area to 18°Celsius; and
- kitchens and bathrooms have to have extraction fans or rangehoods, and openable windows in most rooms; and
- if there is an accessible subfloor space, a ground moisture barrier is needed to stop moisture rising into the home; and
- any gaps or holes around windows, doors, walls, fireplaces need to be draught-stopped.