- Product description
- Product details
LED Downlights save power
LED downlights are up to 85% more efficient than incandescent bulbs and have a relatively quick payback on the investment.
Traditional incandescent bulbs have changed very little over 100 years and are very inefficient - less than 5% of their energy is converted into light. The balance is converted into heat.
Traditional downlights also require a significant gap in insulation around the downlight fitting. The LED downlights we use in contrast can be covered by insulation to keep your home both warmer and lighter.
Downlights & Insulation
The use of downlights in modern homes with incandescent light bulbs poses a challenge for thermal efficiency. Guidelines require insulation to keep up to 200mm clear of all downlights unless the light fitting carries an “IC” or “CA” classification. This clearance results in considerable heat loss around the light fitting as shown by the thermal image on the right.
Insulation can cover IC-F rated LED downlights to keep your home warm and bright in winter by limiting heat loss. For free quotes on replacing your downlights with long-life LED equivalents, contact us today.
Finance & Funding
We have financial support available to make installing LED downlights throughout your home more affordable.
- Q Card Finance
- Squirrel Money
- Mortgage Top-Ups for energy efficiency products
5 questions & answers about this product
How can I save money on lighting?
- Switch them off. It seems simple, but it rarely happens. Lights are often left on when not in use and you are left paying for energy that is simply wasted.
- Replace lighting with energy efficient options. By replacing incandescent light bulbs with energy saving LEDs wherever possible, you will start making instant savings. LED are more reliable and use less power for the same amount of lumens (light).
- Work with mother nature. Sunlight is free – use it wherever possible.
- Save yourself a headache. By having too many lights on, or ‘over lighting’ you can actually create glare, eye strain and headaches. Save money and save headaches by working out which lights you don’t need and switching them off.
- Install light sensors. They automatically turn on when someone enters the room and turn off again when no movement is detected.
- Put a little romance in your life. Dinner or a movie by candlelight creates a special atmosphere for couples and novelty for kids (just supervise them).
How much can I save with LED bulbs?
EECA Energywise website estimates you can save approx $183.30 per year by replacing 10 incandescent bulbs to equivalent LED bulbs.
- This is based on replacing 10 x 75 Watt incandescent fittings with 10 x 13 Watt LED bulbs.
- Both bulbs would produce 1100 lumens of light.
- The estimate assumes 3 hours operation per day at 27c per kWh.
A $55 replacement cost for downlights would be recovered in about 4 years based on the light energy alone. The added benefit of LED downlights is that the ones installed by Smart Energy Solutions can be covered by insulation to keep you warmer in winter.
Warm & Cool LED lights - what's the difference?
Have you ever noticed that some lights appear quite yellow (warm) versus bright white (cool)? Well LED lights are also available as warm white or cool white.
- Cool white LEDs: these are most suited for task lighting in either kitchens, bathrooms,offices, workshops and garages.
- Warm white: create a softer, more mellow light which is better suited for bedrooms and living rooms.
The choice is yours so choose carefully as LED downlights are a complete fitting - not just a bulb that can be swapped out. Trial a few LED bulbs in lamps to get a feel for the type of light you want.
Can I have a dimmer on LED downlights?
Yes, some LED downlights are suitable for dimmers. We can let you know which ones.
What size LED to replace a 100W bulb?
Watts (100W) are a measure of the power consumed rather than the light created. Consequently the best measure to compare is "lumens" or light output.
A 100W incandescent bulb has about the same lumens as a 10-15W LED bulb or fitting.
The angle of light from an LED is also more focused so it may seem even brighter.
1 customer reviews
The workmanship was excellent. Everything was explained well and the options given helped us with the decisions. Now that we have come through the first winter after using Smart Energy Solutions, we have been thrilled with the extra warmth. It has been most noticeable. Enjoying the LED downlights too.Anthony, Tauranga