Outages and Faults
There's a variety of reasons your power may go out but don't panic - there's someone to help.
Why is my power out?
Power outages to your home are most often caused by storms, accidents affecting power poles, other network issues which is why your first contact should be your local lines company (refer the list below).
- If dark, use a torch or the light on your phone to avoid trips and falls - they're safer than candles and are usually closer to hand.
- Turn off any appliances you were using while you remember as well as any sensitive electronic devices like computers or TVs that may be affected by a sudden power surge.
- Check your fuse box - especially if only part of the house has lost power.
- Contact your Lines Company for information on the nature and extent of the outage.
- Medically Dependent people who rely on electrical devices should activate their prepared emergency plan with battery or generator back-up. If there is serious risk to health or life for you or anyone in your home through loss of power you should either:
- get support from nearby friends or family with electricity or
- contact emergency services on 111.
Who to Ring?
To find out the cause of a power outage to your home or neighbourhood you should call your local Lines Company.
|Northland||TOP ENERGY||0800 867 363|
|NORTHPOWER||0800 10 40 40|
|Auckland||VECTOR||0508 832 867|
|Waikato||COUNTIES POWER||0800 100 202|
|WEL NETWORKS||0800 800 935|
|WAIPA NETWORKS LTD||07 872 0745|
|THE LINES COMPANY||0800 367 546|
|Bay of Plenty||POWERCO||0800 769 372|
|Hawke's Bay||UNISON NETWORKS||0800 286 476|
|HORIZON ENERGY||07 306 2900|
|Gisborne||EASTLAND NETWORK||06 869 0700|
|Taranaki||POWERCO||0800 769 372|
|Manawatu||ELECTRA||0800 567 876|
|Wellington||WELLINGTON ELECTRICITY||04 915 6100|
|POWERCO||0800 769 372|
|Christchurch||ORION||0800 363 9898|
|EA NETWORKS||0800 430 460|
|Dunedin & Cromwell||AURORA ENERGY||0800 433 582|
|OTAGONET||03 211 1899|
Not a Network Issue?
If there is no network issue and it is only your home affected then please call us on 0800 888 121 and we will organise for the outage to be investigated as quickly as possible.