Don't be cold - get insulation, a heat pump & more on your rates
Pay for insulation, heating and more on your Council rates
We're proud to be an approved provider in the New Plymouth District Council's "Home Energy Scheme" that now lets you get home insulation, EECA approved heat pumps, extractor fans, ventilation, on-ground moisture barrier, LED lights for your home or rental property and pay for it through your rates bill over up to 9 years.
Ratepayers can apply for:
- A loan of up to $10,000 (to cover work including GST) to be repaid over five years with zero interest.
- A loan of up to $10,000 (to cover work including GST) to be repaid over nine years at 3.25 per cent interest.
- A $200 administration fee will apply from 1 July 2021.
You may even be eligible for EECA Warmer Kiwi Homes subsidies but we can let you know at the assessment.
For rental properties it will soon be mandatory to meet the 5 Healthy Homes Standards so the New Plymouth Council rates programme is a great opportunity for landlords to bring their houses up to spec, particularly as government funding is no longer available for rental properties.
Contact us or call us on 0800 888 766 today to book a free measure, quote and advice and we'll help you with the paperwork, including the NPDC's Application Form.
Need information or a quote?
We give advice and quotes on a range of products to make your house warmer, healthier and more energy efficient. Contact us and our friendly team will be in touch to discuss how we can make improving your property easy.
Hate filling in forms? Call us direct 0800 888 766
We answer 24 hours, 7 days a week so call us anytime.
What do I need to be eligible?
To be eligible for the Home Energy Scheme funding you must:
- be a home-owner in New Plymouth District.
- be up to date with your rates (no arrears over the past three years).
- pay your rates by direct debit.
- not have an existing loan that you are repaying through rates on the property.
- have a New Plymouth home which was built before 2000 (for insulation).
- have a property which if insulated, you can apply for help for heat pumps and other improvements at the same time.
Pay it off over up to 9 years
The funding is repaid through your regular rates bill and is itemised as a ”voluntary rate". The repayments are over a period of 9 years and you can make additional repayments if you wish to pay it off earlier.
If you sell your house before fully paying off the financial assistance you are legally required to disclose the existence of the targeted rate to potential buyers. Alternatively you can pay the outstanding amount off in full prior to selling.
Adding insulation and heating will mean you use less energy (electricity, wood, gas) to create the equivalent warmth and so you can save money while you're paying the solutions off.
What is the interest rate?
The targeted rate is interest bearing to cover the council's costs. The interest rate is 0-3.25% per annum (depending on loan type) and is reviewed annually.