Canterbury - put a heat pump, insulation &/or ventilation on your rates
Get 9 years to pay for home insulation, heat pumps or ventilation!
Healthier Homes Canterbury together with Smart Energy Solutions can help make your home warmer, drier and healthier.
Environment Canterbury Regional Council's (ECan) Healthier Homes Canterbury Scheme lets eligible Canterbury ratepayers add the cost of home heating, insulation and/or ventilation products to their rates bills. Ratepayers can get interest-bearing funding to a maximum of $6,000 which is repayable over up to 9 years via your rates bills.
Many homeowners opt to put these costs on their rates as payments can be easier to manage.
Need information or a quote?
We give advice and quotes on a range of products to make your house warmer, healthier and more energy efficient. Contact us and our friendly team will be in touch to discuss how we can make improving your property easy.
Hate filling in forms? Call us direct 0800 888 766
We answer 24 hours, 7 days a week so call us anytime.
What can the $6,000 be used for?
- Heating – heat pumps and heat transfer systems
- Insulation – ceiling & underfloor insulation, draught stopping and moisture barrier where required
- Ventilation – kitchen and bathroom extractor fans
- Home Performance Assessment cost (where applicable)
Eligibility for $6,000 funding
- You must be the ratepayer of the property.
- Your property must be in Canterbury.
- Your rates payments must be up-to-date, and you need to have a good history of making a payment over the past three years (although this may be waived if you recently bought your first home in Canterbury).
- The funding is interest bearing at 5.9% per annum (as at Sept 20).
How to Apply
Once your form is completed, return it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to PO Box 345, Christchurch 8140, or drop it off to one of the ECan Council offices in Christchurch, Kaikoura or Timaru.
Benefits of the programme
- Approved advisors can undertake a Home Performance Assessment to recommend the solutions that will have the best effect for you and your home.
- Improves health & comfort while paying for the solution.
- May reduce power costs and health bills.
- Convenient repayment via your regular Environment Canterbury rates bills.
- Provides finance solution for landlords to make their rentals compliant with mandatory insulation requirements effective July 2019.
* All figures shown include GST. These are estimates only and rounded to the nearest dollar – actual costs may differ. Results are based on a fixed interest rate of 5.9% per annum, which is available for ratepayers joining the scheme before the end of June 2019. The total term of the advance is 9 years.